Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Reasons we're all doomed

I don't want this to be a long thread. But why don't we list all the reasons that our battle against the CAGW hydra (or monolith, confusingly) may fail and thus get them out of our system? This would be in line with the teaching of Fritz Kunkel, who said emotional health requires we face our worst fears head on, or else they will drag us to the 'dog house,' as he quaintly put it.

Two reasons have come up on the chocolate teapot:

1. CAGW is a faith-based system
2. The overthrow of useless or ruinous CAGW policies requires policy makers who are idealists.

There may indeed be cause for a separate thread on faith-based systems, as this aspect of the situation comes up again and again. But this one is even broader, for it is for all our worst fears. Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I need to abstain from this thread, because I am in the peculiar, and potentially unique position of not agreeing with all of the consensus science, but in terms of policy decisions I am unconcerned. Wind farms and solar farms don't bother me, neither does paying extra tax for them. Getting people weaned off petrol is actually something I agree with, and I think we should cut down on transport generally. I think cars should become more expensive to run. I think we should all conserve energy, water, and cut down waste, and forcing people, directly through laws, or through increased prices to become more efficient is not something that bothers me.

Sorry. For me it is all about righting a wrong in science.
I'm generally in favour or unconcerned about everything else.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:13 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

Excellent to have you! But the gloom of others should not be neglected :)

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Internet freedom.

CAGW is function of the internet. It's mitigation is also a function of the internet.

If we lose internet freedom then we are doomed.

If we place all are communications channels in the hands of Google, Facebook, Twitter with Government managed firewalls with ISP's reactive monitoring then we give power to the consensus.

Another way of writing the Power of Consensus, is the Power of Ignorance.

Imagine a world where only facebook accounts existed. Who would guarantee your rights then? A company subject to influences that would be be invisible.

Anonymity and freedom of expression must be guaranteed.

If we lose that, we are doomed. CAGW is in the hands of the powerful, they much always be challenged.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterJiminy Cricket

"are"? ... "much"? long day (shakes head)

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM | Unregistered CommenterJiminy Cricket

Certainly we're all doomed to make typos and worse on the t'internet, JC. On which note, when I quoted from Paul Matthews last night I corrected an obvious typo, just as the Bish does in his latest book when citing things said on the net. But how far should one take this? "What you really meant to say was X, not Y." That could get nasty, along with other possible trends to which you point.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake