Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > The climate is changing because of Climate Change?

I am tired of people, especially on TV, saying that the climate is changing because of Climate Change!

Reading Football Club have just been relegated from the Premier Division, in part because, while they didn't start off the season that well, they lost so many matches in the second half of the season.

I would agree that they have been relegated because of their long loosing streak, but not that they lost most of their games because of their loosing streak.

Their loosing streak was not the cause but a depressing summary (if you support Reading Football Club), and a description of what has been observed.

It is not an invisible force, beamed in from outer space, and focused on nearly every match, even if did appear like that to some observers!

We can forgive this shorthand in private conversation in this case, because it would be accompanied by much needed solace, but to have this in a TV programme focused on scientific subjects shows just how poor the programme maker's understanding of science and philosophy are. The climate is changing because of Climate Change! Don't they know how stupid it sounds?

At least there is the next (football) season about which to be optimistic, which is more than we can say for those in the Department of Energy and Climate Change and the rest of 'Big Green'.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Robert

I find it equally annoying - my football club are crap and have lost all ambition and linger in the third division but much in the same way as global warming is now climate change the third division is now the first division

and the climate is changing because of climate change is the ultimate in bollox - regrettably it is getting more than a toe hold. The Met Office use the stupid expression twice in their report on disappointing weather - http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/meeting-on-uks-run-of-unusual-seasons/#comments

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM | Unregistered CommenternoTrohpywins

The climate has always changed and always will but now the climate can change because of climate change. So, in the past when the climate changed, that was not because of climate change but was climate change, but not the climate change that causes the climate to change. Got it.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM | Unregistered CommenternoTrohpywins

Losing, not loosing. Yours, the Grammar police.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

Please get a grip.

"climate change" does not mean "changes in the climate" as any fule kno.

** It means the change in climate caused by increase in the greenhouse effect. http://www.iea.org/topics/climatechange/

** climate change is defined as: “a change of climate which is attributed directly or indirectly to human activity that alters the composition of the global atmosphere and which is in addition to natural climate variability observed over comparable time periods.” [the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC),]

** "Climate change" means a change of climate which is attributed directly or indirectly to human activity that alters the composition of the global atmosphere and which is in addition to natural climate variability observed over comparable time periods Source: UNBIS Thesaurus

So it is obvious that the climate is changing because of climate change.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM | Unregistered CommenterBig Oil

Sorry Big Oil, Activists do not get the right to "own" language nor science.
- If you mean CAGW then say Catastrophic Man-made Global warming, but don't try to change the definition of "Climate Change" to mean the same thing.

- Instead of TWISTING words and TWISTING science think of an accurate way to say what you mean without us having to redefine existing language.

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

stewgreen - these are things I scraped off the internet and so presumably come direct from the UEA and UN. It's not me changing the definition of anything. But it makes it clear that when warmists talk about "climate change" it is implicit they are talking about man-made climate change not any old climate change of the sort that you and I agree has always been going on.

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM | Unregistered CommenterBig Oil