Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Seasons Greetings, Best for 2014

Time to get together in cyberspace and celebrate.

It has been an absolute delight for me, an Aussie born in Europe, to hang out with the mostly UK based but also people from other places, here.

Thanks first to our host, who has obviously used his Big Oil cheques (or direct debits, in this modern world) to good effect. Every time it coughs, splutters, and threatens to die, he throws a few careless gold pieces at the site managers, and somehow it gets going again.

Seriously, Andrew Montford has become recognised as a major player in the debate, and has had a crash course in public communication - each time is better than the last, and he may end up being very successful in that sphere, not just in this context.

Most importantly, the impact of rising energy costs has penetrated the skulls of even the most dim-witted MPs, and the international trends have penetrated the skulls of the less dim-witted ones.

To all, very best wishes for the festive season, and here's hoping that the pressure on energy consumers - both domestic and commercial - decrease in 2014 so that we can all have a prosperous New Year.

Merry Christmas!

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM | Registered Commenterjohanna

A Very Merry Christmas and the Very Best of Wishes for 2014 to all who visit at the Bishop's abode.

I would also like to be associated with johanna's words about you Andrew - thank you for all your efforts. Thank you for reminding us during the year what good manners are about.

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM | Registered Commenterretireddave

Got to agree with Johanna! As ever. And also with the sentiments expressed by retireddave.

Under cover of all this goodwill, let me sneak in a link to some Christmas music and greeting on another blog whose position is not a million miles from this one: http://climatelessons.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/a-merry-christmas-to-all-my-readers.html

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM | Registered CommenterJohn Shade

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the Bish & all commentators/readers BH.
as a blog with influence here in the UK, you are growing year by year (lang may your lum reek).

ps. thanks for the thread Johanna, best wishes for the new year to you personally.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM | Unregistered Commenterdougieh

A very merry Christmas to all at BH and here's hoping for a 2014 full of peace and goodwill.

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:23 AM | Unregistered CommenterLord Beaverbrook

dougie, what does "lang may your lum reek" mean? It sounds vaguely threatening, although that would be at odds with the well-known placid temperament of the traditional Scots. :)

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:27 AM | Registered Commenterjohanna

Oh, and John Shade, that rendering of "Rejoice" is superb. I have reposted it to one of the largest blogs here in Oz. While I'm not a Christian, Christian choral music is an art form that ranks above opera, IMO.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:43 AM | Registered Commenterjohanna

Thanks Johanna, I have enjoyed your posts as I do most posts on this site. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all on this site - yes, even Chandra and Entropic Man.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Not to forget absent friends...

- BBD
- bitbucket
- Don Pablo de la Sierra
- Dung (?)

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

A Merry Christmas to all, thank you for all the information and links over the last year, a happy and prosperous new year.

Johanna, Lang May your lum reek literally translates as long may your chimney smoke, basically a long and prosperous life to you.

Memories of childhood humour. What is the chimney sweeps surname? Lumsden :-)

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM | Unregistered CommentersandyS

Peace on earth, to persons of good will ... to include all contributors to this blog.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM | Unregistered Commenterosseo

Been lurking only recently, waiting for someone to pen the usual Xmas limerick!

Let's hope 2014 rings as many changes as 2013!

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:05 AM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

sandyS
If anyone complains, I'll say you started it!
Wee wifie goes to the dentist and settles herself in the chair
"Comfy?" asks the dentist.
"Govan", she replies.

Sorry, johanna. Translation available on request.

Salutations de la France demi-profonde (!) et je vous souhaite "bonnes fêtes!".

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Mike Jackson
A few Christmas Cracker jokes seem to be appropriate for this thread ;-)

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:29 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

I would agree.
If I can dig any half-decent ones from the depths of the brain, I'll post a couple.

These gems might be considered relevant on a sceptic blog ...
Law of Logical Argument — Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
Oliver's Law of Public Speaking — A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Also a little personal anecdote which I remembered when I saw The Universal Law of Stadia which begins "At any public event those with tickets furthest from the aisle will arrive last..."
Many years ago a group of us had tickets for the Five Nations at Murrayfield. At the first game (can't remember which it was) as soon as the game kicked off a family group (I assume) decked out in their Barbours and loud voices and trailing whisky fumes demanded access to their seats further along the row causing some disturbance and starting off the odd caustic comment. At the second home game, ditto.
The following season the same handful of us had seats in quite a different part of the stadium. As soon as the game kicked off a family group ...
I don't care if you don't believe me. Every word is true!

Frohes Fest!

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson