Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Climate Change Refuters

The word "refute" means to demonstrate the falsity of something or to disprove it. But the word has been hijacked by the ignorant and is often used when the intention is simply to deny something. As a recent example

Rachel Thompson from Frack Free Greater Manchester said: “We refute this claim. Greater Manchester Police have refused to show any evidence of this alleged incident."

The incorrect usage has even found its way into the dictionary (although as "disputed").

Here is my suggestion: Let's do what we can to get people who believe that humankind's activities have negligible effect on the climate or, at least, that there is no evidence for such effects*, referred to as "Man-Made Climate Change Refuters"

Sounds much better than 'deniers' AND perhaps it might go some way to restoring the correct usage of the word 'refute'.

If anyone agrees, what should be the next step?

* The output of unvalidated computer models excepted. But, as someone said, an unvalidated model is an illustration of a hypothesis, not evidence.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:10 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Why not just accept denier and get some satisfaction in the next few t
years when I think there is a good chance the accusers will shown to be incorrect.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM | Unregistered CommenterRob Burton

I'm with Martin. Refuter is very good. We should never accept denier, in my view, but as CAGW shows itself to be incorrect we should remember it. Oh yes.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:21 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I think the terms we've got now are here to stay. The warmists like calling us deniers and personally I don't care. I think of myself as a global warming bandwagon denier. I deny them the right to tell me what to think.

Refuter doesn't roll off the tongue although it'd be easier type type than sceptic. The warmists have the same problem, there's no easy way to refer to them. They do try 'climate hawk' every now and then but someone should warn them it makes them sound like a bunch of wilderness idiots... oh hang on, maybe it does work.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Tiny: Agreed that denier will be used by many, probably for a long while. When I say we should never accept it I mean a number of things but the most important is that this horrible term diminishes the seriousness of the Holocaust every time it is used. 'A small but suggestive insult to the memory of the victims,' as Christopher Hitchens said in different but congruent context. That insult is much more important than my personal feelings on the subject - or rather it governs those feelings.

In practice I feel the same way as you do quite often, in the rough and tumble of debate, with people that are clearly of good heart in other ways. But one day soon I'm going to express my lack of concern about it like this:

Oh, I'm prefectly relaxed about you calling me denier. For me it's just like you calling a black man nigger just because you disagree with him.

How do we think that might go down? (And sorry to Martin, because this is really meant to be about the replacement term.)

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:31 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Refuter? Change a few letters and you get Refugee.

But seriously, by your definition you need actually to refute CC. I've seen many deny it or nit-pick the science or throw rhetorical stones at scientists, but I have not come across a serious refutation that a dozen "sceptics" could agree on. But maybe I'm wrong - have a go!

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:56 AM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Do you remember when Prime Minister John Major had a short contretemps with several MPs who wanted to change government policy regarding the EU, and he was later reported as having described them as "bastards"? The media, including the BBC, thereafter took much pleasure in referring to them as "Euro-bastards".

Setting aside the politics of that particular issue, the thought of being called a "climate-bastard" does actually appeal to me in a slightly perverse kind of way.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:13 AM | Unregistered Commentermichaelhart

michael: bastards would be completely fine compared to the current, de facto standard.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:31 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

When discussing this with those who are convinced of Anthropogenic Climate Change/Global Warming I usually say "I'm what you refer to as a denier and here's why". Then at some point in the conversation I ask my question on where to reverse the change/warming to, usually unanswered, then the Minoan/Roman/Medieval warm periods are thrown into the conversation.

A fair number haven't associated denier with reasonable normal people they know nor the full implication of what it means. So I think that michaelhart is correct, and we can use it in a positive way.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:09 AM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

SandyS: Wouldn't "I'm what you refer to as a sceptic and here's why" work just as well? It's quite possible to make clear one's objections to the other term in a polite way, as a 'reasonable normal person'. But if I was in the middle of a conversation with someone and they kept calling me 'denier' (which has never happened) then I'd wrap it up, for the reasons given above. And I might now use 'climate change refuter'. I think Martin's arguments against GCMs and other climate models are a complete refutation of the alarmist case. Add in the IPCC being honest about extreme events and alarmism is over - it's just the activists haven't yet been told. Job done.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:08 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I think Martin's arguments against GCMs and other climate models are a complete refutation of the alarmist case.
I have seen Martin argue that GCMs etc cannot be validated, but I haven't seen him prove that they are wrong. By his definition, such proof would be necessary to "refute" anything, no?

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:28 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

For Chandra:

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2013/06/epic-fail-73-climate-models-vs-observations-for-tropical-tropospheric-temperature/

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:03 AM | Unregistered Commenternot banned yet

Richard Drake
I disagree, giving someone the opportunity to go and find out about the whole denier issue creates doubt in at least some minds. In a detailed discussion tell them to look at skeptical science, real climate and the like; also include BH and WUWT for balance. Why pussyfoot about, this is a serious problem and should be tackled head on. Stepping back from the argument gives the impression that you're unsure of your position (or are running home in tears*) depending on the person you're dealing with you may never get another chance to sow the seeds of scepticism.

I had a colleague who was a convinced Warmist, he was almost very sure of himself on almost everything, I never convinced him that he might be wrong or to just double check. However I found out recently when talking to an another former colleague that he and another who listened to these conversations without joining in are now firmly in the denier/ refuted/sceptic camp.

* This is nothing personal, a generalisation on how in my experience many people think.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM | Unregistered CommentersandyS

For what they're worth, these are my thoughts. I don't think the word "denier" is going to die off by any other means than as a cause of major embarrassment for those who've a history of using it. I think that process is well under way at this time.

Labelling is something your opponents do to you, not something you generally have a choice in. It's the process of attempting to dehumanise and thus unfairly undermine those with whom you disagree. In any fair boxing match, this is the proverbial punch below the belt. It's cheating. But it's blatant cheating, so I'm all for it. ;-)

From my perspective, for as long as our opponents use the ridiculous term "denier", more and more people will recognise the inherent fallacy and consequently question the motivation of those who use it. As sceptics, we don't need to invoke our own logical fallacies and publicly question the motives of our opposition because, for as long as we're called "deniers", our opponents' motivation calls itself into question. Being called "deniers" is, ultimately, to our benefit. It's so easy for us to show how preposterous the term is, once it's been invoked.

So, on the understanding that we don't get to choose our label, my favourite alternative term for a sceptic is "heretic". I've always found the parallels between CAGWism and most western religions to be compelling. As a religious agnostic, I am quite able to find abundant similes and metaphors which are functional in discussions with CAGWers who mistakenly believe they've successfully side-stepped the religious trap by, they *think*, embracing science and, particularly, the at-times and in-places (particularly areas regarding prophecies and future warming scenarios) rather squidgy climate science.

So to the labels we assign the devout CAGWers - and these are terms I prefer to use in my head, rather than as rocks to throw, I'm not overly fond of the term "warmist", because it's imprecise. Anyone who doesn't dispute that the climate has warmed over the last 150 years can essentially be described as a warmist.

The term "alarmist" is far more accurate, can easily be justified and thus is broadly a descriptive rather than pejorative term.

I'm not averse to the selective use of "dogmatist", specifically when attempting to help a religiously devout CAGWer understand the trap they're in. I think the term "dogmatist" could increasingly be used much more broadly, as more of the climate science literature is exposed as the litany it really is, this term may become more and more useful. I'm always cautious not to use the term "dogmatist" unless referring specifically to an element of climate alarmism which I am demonstrating is founded in belief, specifically in the absence of evidence.

Obviously, terms like "warmista" are off the table because there are no good reasons to use them. We have the high ground and there's no good reason to surrender it.

Jan 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterSimon Hopkinson

Big Oil/ Not Banned Yet, your graphs, although interesting, do not really prove anything. HadCRUT4, UAH, RSS do not capture all warming and are distorted by events not accounted for by models. Foster and Rahmstorf 2011 show a corrected temperature profile that would look rather different when plotted against the models.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:08 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Chandra - thanks for the pointer to the paper. The fact remains that the models failed to predict global average temperature. It was a failure, whether the reason was because of physical effects that their creators did not (or could not) include in the models or for any other reason.

I can see that tweaking the observed data after the event and then finding that the tweaked data agrees better with the predictions might be useful in highlighting where the models need to be corrected. But it hardly seems to me to demonstrate that the models were in fact correct all along.

Processing observations, after the event, to produce the desired result is not science. It's things like that that turned me from accepting that global warming due to fossil fuel use was real and had a firm basis in physics to believing (well, you can guess the rest).

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:43 PM | Unregistered CommenterBig Oil

SandyS: I've never that I remember raised 'denier' in one-to-one conversation (such as this one), I've always talked about the issues, such as the strange decrease in deaths from extreme events since 1920, the effect of climate policies on the poorest and the fact that as a software engineer the argument from models rather than observational data is, as Martin A frequently says, bunk. But then nobody in one-to-one conversation has ever called me a denier. I remain very concerned about the use of the term and the analogy it came from, especially in the mouths of 'thought leaders' like Al Gore in 1989 and Kevin Trenberth as keynote speaker to the American Meteorological Society in January 2011 (which triggered the longest debate on the subject on Judy Curry's). I think then we're largely talking at cross purposes. I commend what you say about talking to people one-to-one, with the rider that if I did mention the term denier I would note its origins. Because treated with the right combination of coolness and derision it's a massive own goal by the power hungry climate elite. Playing dirty is never a good sign as I put it to a well-known biologist who used the term on Twitter a week ago.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:19 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Big Oil, it is true that neither climate models nor people are able to predict ENSO. Ditto solar variability and volcanic activity. That situation seems unlikely to change. Models will continue to have to guess these forcings according to their historical averages. Even The Big Yin James's model will have to do this. In the long term that doesn't matter (assuming the average levels of these forcings don't change) to the model outcomes. In the short term it clearly means that a model that uses values for ENSO/solar/aerosol forcings that don't match those which come about is likely to project incorrect tempertures. Remember that after 2005, IPCC models are using such guessed focings.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:36 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Simon Hopkinson: Sorry that I only read the post addressed to me earlier but I've now read yours. I concur with every word. Heretics that take time to refute. Brilliantly put.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:34 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Richard Drake
I think we're singing different hymns from the same hymn book ;-)

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:13 AM | Unregistered CommentersandyS

sandy: Ha, very good. And long may that continue. We need to try everything.

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:40 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Chandra 10:36 - I'd concur with the implication of others that the failure of GCM's to predict global temperature provides their own auto-refutation so I don't think there is a need for me to provide independent proof of their failure.

Your point that unpredictable things can have significant effect makes sense and that, being unpredictable, they can't be incorporated in models to improve the accuracy of predicted global temperature. However, the existence of these effects is not a new discovery, so presumably their existence was allowed for in computing the error bounds in the model predictions. Whether or not that was done, once the actual temperature falls outside the error bounds on predicted temperature, the predictions have failed.

If I have understood the point you make with paper by Foster and Rahmstorf, it is that the Earth has continued to warm (despite the fact that the average temperature has remained more or less constant) but that the warming has been masked by various effects. So there is a sort of "true global temperature" that the models have predicted well but this is different from the observed global temperature.

If this is a correct understanding of the point you are making, then I think that is a different discussion (it's on the topic 'has the Earth's continued to warm despite its temperature not having increased?') from a discussion of whether or not GCM's have failed in their predictions of observed global temperature. The latter, to me, seems pretty clear cut.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:09 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

In honour of this thread I've now done Refuting the 97% :)

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:55 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Martin, a failure to predict global temperatures over the long term (the purpose of the models) would indicate model failure (to me). Failure over a short period because of an inability to incorporate the unpredictable does not. As far as I'm aware the projections are still within error bounds and so by your definition the models have not yet failed.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra