Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Sarah Dunant on cross-century catastrophe

Other BH posters expected it to be bad but I rather liked it:

At the risk of offending both sides, it is interesting to note how much they have in common. For both science and religion, extreme weather is a warning - in the most secular of meanings, a prophecy of what is to come. For both, at root, the cause is human behaviour - for believers, chronic moral breakdown stemming from denial of what they see as the laws of God. In the eyes of science, a different transgression - our plundering and using of the planet's resources in ways dangerous to it, and our, well-being, with a certain whiff of moral criticism in there (selfishness, profit, even greed). Then there is the outcome. Without action in either case we are looking at something akin to the end of the world as we know it.

Sure, Dunant buys 21st century catastrophe, based on science, sort of. But the comparison with the 17th century view is I think very useful. Will also be on iPlayer before long.

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:09 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

It's interesting to me how much detail on the Little Iceage Sarah Dunant includes in the piece on the BBC website How she says

Humans have long flirted with the notion of an apocalypse and since our basic existence depends so powerfully on climate, it's not surprising the two have been connected.

and yet she is convinced that CO2 and humans are causing the current warming (or lack of) and drastic action is required.
A leader who must ignore the sceptics and take powerful unpopular action to save the planet has to have real backbone to see it through. Maybe it's not just Russell Crowe who needs God's voice in his ear.

Having gone through burning witches and superstition she goes into more of the same. How many people will read the article and see the programme and not notice the irony.

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:19 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

Having gone through burning witches and superstition she goes into more of the same.

I didn't think she quite did and that was why I found some encouragement in it.

Dunant didn't of course make the crucial point that similar levels of extreme events have far less cost in lives today compared to 17th century, because the world is far more affluent.

But, reflecting on it a little more, I think there may be a route here, via history, for the intellectual to come to realise that the current CAGW fervour is overblown. A soft landing, rather than having to say "Nigel Lawson was right all along," the poor loves.

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:55 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Richard, I just found your discussion of this, having put this comment on the current BBC post:

On Sunday morning on BBC radio 4 there was an interesting Point of View by Sarah Dunant, called "Heavy Weather". You can download the podcast. She talks about a new film "Noah", and linked the biblical and modern association of our sins with apocalypse. She also talked about the 17th century Little Ice Age and mentioned this book by Geoffrey Parker. Although she is clearly a believer (she uses that word), there were several things she said that some devout believers would not like.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:45 AM | Registered CommenterPaul Matthews

Now that's what I call independent confirmation that it wasn't so bad! Thanks Paul.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake