Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Shale Gas Profits

It is getting around to the time for Vangel to put in an appearance and spread doom and gloom about shale gas so I decided to investigate ^.^

The info comes from various places; Henry Hub, Platts, ICE monthly reports and a 143 page Harvard undergrad thesis dated this year.

Break even price for shale gas is currently about $4.04 per MMBTU (Million Metric British Thermal Units)
In April last year Henry Hub price dropped to $1.95! This year it is hovering around the break even point and reached $4.62 within the last three months, currently it is around £3.50. US Shale producers are not filling their trousers with gold at the moment. So why are they hanging in there?
Chemical companies are building new plant all over the USA to get at the cheap energy.
A trans continental "gas corridor" is being created in the US to allow converted HGVs to travel the breadth of the country on natural gas.
As we know CCGT power plants are pushing out coal from energy production.
However the big step will be exports of LNG and right now the US can not do that.
The first US company to get permission for and start construction of an LNG export terminal was Cheniere Energy's Sabine Pass facility in Louisiana. Centrica have bought a share of this company and signed a deal with them over two years ago to take LNG at a fixed price (based on Henry Hub) for 25 years starting in 2015.
It took Cheniere two years to get through the regulatory hurdles and construction was scheduled to take three years with the terminal due online in December 2015.
At this point no other terminal has been authorised by the US government and there are already two in the queue.
Obama is sitting on this in the same way that Cameron et al have been sitting on our shale gas.
Once exports can begin the US can laugh all the way to the bank. Our undergrad reckoned that the Henry Hub price would rise to over $5/MMBTU making all US shale gas profitable. The exporters estimate current costs of liquification and transport to Asia at $7/MMBTU, this compares with a current spot price in Asia of $16 - $17/MMBTU.

Looking at the UK, there is no reason to assume a higher basic break even price but of course our government can change all that and the EU could still ban it altogether. The thickness of the shale in Cuadrilla's license area is so great that one Cuadrilla well will get the same production as several US wells and this should reduce costs.
Whatever the government does to mess it up, I just do not see a way that gas will not get a lot cheaper.

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Good post Dung - thanks for digging out the facts.
I take these figures are for dry gas? As I understand it, gas economics become secondary if there are any condensates, let alone oil.

The current status of export projects is improving:
" The US Department of Energy on Wednesday authorized Dominion Cove Point LNG to export liquefied natural gas from its terminal in Maryland to countries that do not have free trade agreements with the US. Cove Point is the fourth project to win non-FTA approval, following the Sabine Pass and Lake Charles projects in Louisiana and the Freeport terminal in Texas. " (According to Platts)
However you are right that Sabine Pass is the only one with full approval; the others still have various stages to go through but DoE is the key step.
There are quite a few more projects rumbling along behind these so the momentum is building.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM | Registered Commentermikeh

Missed the Maryland info :(, Yes all prices refer solely to gas.
I read about the Freeport project, they have everything in place and are ready to go, just the danged gubmnt getting in the way ^.^
I am amazed that nobody in the UK is actually talking about the liquids, our Bowland shale is oil rich but Cuadrilla have not mentioned that once hehe. The other liquids would really make a difference to our chemical industries just like in the US.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM | Registered CommenterDung

great stuff, Dung - I hope that doesn't come across as too Drakeish

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM | Unregistered Commenterdiogenes

What is the take-home message? Prices are low because of a glut and companies are investing to use the gas and take advantage of this effective subsidy. But gas companies are losing money (subsidising users). Export facilities are to be built that will cause the domestic price to rise towards its medium term average ($6 ish) - gas co.s will celebrate and those investing on the basis of the current subsidy will presumably be sad.

What is the lesson for us the UK? Import and export facilities already exist, so the potential for a glut and hence lower prices seems limited. It might improve our balance of payments and push up the pound, but that seems all.

Confused...

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra Banerjee

Chandra
I have no crystal ball nor any knowledge of the gas industry but the "discovery" of shale gas underneath Europe — or perhaps the full understanding of how to exploit it — is equivalent in its own way to the discovery of oil under Arabia. All of a sudden we have a new source of energy which has the potential to provide most of Europe's needs for half a millennium.
Price is secondary. The first thing that will happen is that a major increase in the volume of gas will have an affect on raw prices. It must, as night follows day. It's simple economics.
Secondly as far as the UK is concerned there will be a near-term effect on the balance of payments. Either we export the stuff and earn money or we reduce imports and save money.
It doesn't need to do anything else but it also gives government the option to reduce taxes in a way which makes the UK a more attractive place to set up and run a business. It could provide energy security for decades.
We don't precisely know how any of this will pan out any more than the Bedouin knew how that black stuff was going to pan but it's a safe bet that with shale oil the UK will be better off than without it — unless we are stupid enough to listen to the eco-luddites and f*** it all up.

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:36 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

The take home message should be that an economic bonanza is within our grasp but we appear to have a government that is blind to such opportunities. The only other large scale gas source in Europe is Russia and nobody really wants to buy from them so Britain could make a big killing.
We now know that we have massive onshore shale deposits but we also know that we have much bigger offshore deposits which we have not even started to exploit. Not only that but we also have natural gas in the form of methane hydrates (a sort of methane slush puppy, yum yum). The problem is that everybody has got shale and methane hydrates and so speed is of the essence.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM | Registered CommenterDung

I found some more info about shale deposits other than the Cuadrilla license area near Blackpool, I do not think this is totally accurate but it is likely an underestimate rather than anything else.
We know that the Cuadrilla shale is more than 6000 feet thick (remember that the thickest US shale deposits are about 600 feet thick). It now appears that Blackpool is not the only bonanza ^.^

Edale trough in Derbyshire is 4500 feet thick (this is the oil and gas bearing shale, the total shale deposit is thicker).
Widmerpool trough in Nottinghamshire is 7500 feet thick! (again this is just the important bit).
Gainsborough trough in Lincolnshire/Yorkshire is 4500 feet thick.
The Balcombe shale appears to be only 1500 feet but still more than twice the US thickness.

This info comes from the A.J.Lucas website and they have a 42% stake in Cuadrilla.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:37 AM | Registered CommenterDung

I can see the potential benefit for the UK, but if there is to be a bonanza, I think the 30% royalty gives away too much. We should be taking the 70% and giving the 30% to the contractor! Bonanza or not, to be honest I don't want it in my backyard. If it comes to my neighbourhood, I'll help man the barricades.

But for the US I still don't know whether they should be happy that exports will allow their gas companies to be more profitable or sad that the era of cheap gas will be over as soon as it has begun. And sad for those companies apparently piling in to use cheap gas who will be disappointed - do they not see that exporting the stuff will kill their golden goose? If not are they not being rather blind? If they do see that, why would they go ahead with their investments? As I said, I'm confused.

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM | Unregistered CommenterChandra Banerjee

Chandra
Why don't you want it in your backyard?
I'm not out to criticise you nor to try to make your change your mind but it would be of immense benefit to this whole discussion to have someone who appears capable of stringing a coherent sentence together to explain why they see shale gas as (presumably) a problem for their environment.

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

I bought my house away from busy traffic and industrial activity because I considered it a good place to raise my family. Why should I now accept a change in land use around my house that will alter its value and potentially put my family at risk?

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM | Unregistered CommenterChandra Banerjee

Chandra

There is no evidence that shale gas developments reduce house prices. In fact, quite the opposite.

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM | Registered CommenterBishop Hill

Chandra

Fifty years ago, as a BP university apprentice, I worked for six weeks as a labourer on a directional oil well being drilled by BP on the outskirts of Gainsborough, Lincs. To our great delight, we struck oil. I recently revisited Gainsborough courtesy Google Maps. The site of the well is now surrounded by housing and there appears to be a nodding donkey quietly adding to our prosperity. What is not to like?

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterMike Post

Bishop Hill, what evidence do you base that upon? Where has there been shale exploration in the UK to give you that confidence? The US is not the same as the UK, but I've read of lenders refusing to lend on properties near shale developments. Are these reports untrue?

Say you were going to buy my house on its quiet country lane. You then discover that there would soon be gas exploration and fracking down the lane. Would you,

a) pull out?
b) drop the price offered?
c) raise the price offered?
d) go ahead unchanged?

If you select (c) you are a strange person. Unlike in the US, there is no upside from such a development, only risk.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra Banerjee

Just been doing some fag packet maths ^.^

Normal wholesale gas price in UK before and after the spike in March was £1/Therm
1 Therm = 100,000 BTU so the price in the UK for 1MMBTU is £10
£1 is roughly $1.58 at the moment so we are paying $15.8/MMBTU and the US break even production cost is $4.04/MMBTU.
If the UK shale gas deposits are as massive as they currently look to be then somebody will have some explaining to do if prices do not come down.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Chandra what is your purpose in visiting this blog and how did you find it?

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Chandra

Shale developments in the US have increased house prices because of the boost to the local economy. Given the machinery is only on site for a few weeks, you are describing a transient and short-term issue. Once the rig has gone, most people would not even know the site was there.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM | Registered CommenterBishop Hill

Bishop Hill, you are talking about US where the landowner benefits from the gas extracted. Why do you expect the same to be true in the UK where this is not true? You didn't answer my multiple-choice quiz. It is an easy one, so please answer :-)

Is it really only a few weeks? I understand there are normally many wells drilled in different directions from the same pad. If the thing about exceptional depth is true too, I expect there would be many more wells from the same pad all to differing depths. Are they all likely to be done in only a "few weeks"?

Dung I visit quit often. I don't normally post though. Like I said, I'm in favour of gas, just not on my doorstep.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra Banerjee

Chandra

I think I'm right in saying that shale has brought about economy-wide increases in house prices rather than just for those houses that come with drilling rights. This makes me think that the US experience will be repeated here.

A frack takes a few hours I think. You build up the pressure until the rock fractures. Job done. You are right though that you have multiple fracks per well and multiple wells per pad. Technology exists to do multiple fracs at the same time though. The fact remains that it's a transitory process.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM | Registered CommenterBishop Hill

Bish

On this one Chandra is right, the "rig" needs to be in place when the drilling is done. Drilling deeper and in many directions at different levels is going to mean that the rig is there for quite a bit longer (still, transient though). On the plus side; even if the shale extends under Chandra's house it will likely be a mile deep and the well several miles distant. The drilling companies know they stand to make good money and they are going to cause as little disruption as humanly possible.

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM | Registered CommenterDung

I understand the concern but since, as Andrew says, the presence of the drilling rig is transitory I can't see why — unless you happen to be trying to sell your house during that short period — there is likely to be a problem.
Remember that there as been an oil field (Wytch Farm) in probably the wealthiest environmentally sensitive area in the UK. Nobody is worried by it and most people didn't even know it was there. Certainly the little greenie men didn't because they've just discovered it's in an area of outstanding natural beauty and therefore want to shut it down!
Fracking is even less invasive.
The answer to your multiple choice question depends on whether I'm buying or selling. Buying I would try to beat you down (but then I would anyway). Selling I would try to avoid the hassle by not selling while the rig was on site.
Where I am right on your side is in the argument that short-term there will be people who will be reluctant to buy largely because of the lies, distortions and outright fabrications by those same little greenie men that fracking is dangerous plus all the other spurious excuses they can find.

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:18 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Bishop Hill, "shale has brought about economy-wide increases in house prices" sounds like a statement from an economist who mistakes correlation (things moving in step) for causation (one thing causing another). Even if your assumption were true (that shale gas extraction is the cause of both renewed growth and rising house prices), it doesn't take a fall in the absolute value of my house for me to be worse off. A relative price change (ie. houses unaffected by shale extraction increasing in value more quickly than mine) means I loose too.

As far as a frack taking a few hours, that is misleading and I wonder why you state it. The rigs and tanks and what-not all have to be brought to the site. The water has to be trucked in and the waste stored and trucked out. That is all a part of the process, as much as the actual frack. I saw a cartoon on one of your other threads gave a similarly minimal, clean, depiction of the process. One of the commenters who actually worked in the field berated the cartoonist for trying to make the process seem anything but the complicated, highly industrial and disruptive process it is. Maybe you don't read the comments to all threads but in that case you missed out. Fracking is transitory, for sure. So is have a tooth extracted and if I can possibly avoid it, I will.

Like I said, I'm not against fracking in principle, but if you want to convince people that it is desirable, you need to do better than these sort of half truths. They damage the cause, in my view, just like the US companies who maintain that it doesn't poison the water (which I believe should be true if it is done correctly) damage their cause immensely by buying the silence of those adversely affected. It is all very well complaining about lies and distortions of the "other side" but half truths and secrecy are just as bad.

Dung, the drillers should indeed cause as little disruption as possible. Sadly the industry has a history of failing to live up to this ideal because what is possible is governed by the cost. Safety and environmental protection cost money and will always be challenging for these companies.

I still don't know where people stand on my initial confusion. A glut caused a halving of prices and exports are now set to re-inflate the price. Should we celebrate the return to profit of the drillers or bemoan the higher prices that all those piling into the market to take advantage of the glut will face?

Someone said that a new supply of gas in the UK would lower prices, but prices depend upon both supply and demand. There is plenty of demand and we have export facilities. If I were a driller, the LAST thing I would want is for my activity to lower the price of gas.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM | Unregistered CommenterChandra Banerjee

One of the misleading 'facts' about fracking would be the 'not in my back garden' - as if a fracking site would be chosen so close to residential areas! The shale supply is over such a wide location that all that is reqired is ACCESS to a site - the site itself could be anywhere in 100's square kilometers. If you imagine for one moment that fracking companies would WANT to raise ire and the inevitable protests by fracking "in someones back garden" then you are indeed a vicitm of the propaganda.

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterDave_G

Chandra said:

"I can see the potential benefit for the UK, but if there is to be a bonanza, I think the 30% royalty gives away too much. We should be taking the 70% and giving the 30% to the contractor! "
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Yup, how to kill an industry stone dead in one easy lesson. Why would any company take all the risk and go through the inevitable excruciating regulatory process knowing that 70% of their profit is going to be filched by the government?

I suspect that you may not be quite as open minded about fracking as you claim to be.

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM | Registered Commenterjohanna

I didn't suggest taking 70% of "their" profit but 70% of the value of gas pumped. The gas belongs to the people of the UK, not the drillers. They should be contractors operating on our behalf, not owners of the resource. The benefit to us lies in extracting our gas at the largest possible profit to the UK. Whether this means extracting it as fast as possible, flooding the market and dropping the international price, or extracting it more slowly so that the price is not altered and the value of the gas is higher I don't claim to know. But giving the lion's share of the value to the shareholders of the drillers, who may not be in the UK, does not feature in my idea of maximising the benefit to our country. I am in favour of shale extraction but for the benefit of the many, not the few.

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:53 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra Banerjee