Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Shale Gas Profits

You got me there.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

"Chandra, given the option of a fracking well or a wind farm near their house I think most people would jump at the fracking well."

http://thetyee.ca/News/2013/01/08/Shale-Gas-Hard-On-Landscape/

By any honest measure the industry is a formidable land disturber. Both EnCana and Chesapeake Energy, two large shale gas players, have assembled separate land bases equal in size to the state of West Virginia for shale gas drilling alone.

Both companies are now actively fragmenting these geographies with multi-well pads every two miles by one mile.

Each multi-pad well site looks and performs like a busy factory site serviced by a fleet of hundreds of trucks for over a year. The site must also import vast volumes of water, chemicals and sand often quarried thousands of kilometres away.

A shale gas frack factory may also include wastewater ponds, the venting or flaring of methane and associated toxic gases, heavy road construction as well as extensive pipeline building.

At one EnCana multi-well site in northern B.C., the company consumed more resources than a small city: it injected 417 million gallons of water along with nearly 80,000 tons of sand as well as eight million gallons of fracking chemicals.

I know I'm totally wasting my time. This is the most myopic site on the planet. Well that's probably not true. This is probably only a taste of the extreme forms. As sad as that sounds. But hey. I've wasted my time on worse things before.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:14 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

http://www.albertasurfacerights.com/articles/?id=1463

Muehlenbachs, who has been fingerprinting leaking gases since 1994, says that hydraulic fracking, which injects water, chemicals and sand into rock formations at high pressures, may create more leaks in wellbores overtime. (As industry searches for deeper and more extreme hydrocarbons, it must blast open tight rocks with more brute force over larger land bases than conventional operations.)

"They'll frack each well up to 20 times. Each time the pressure will shudder and bang the pipes in the wellbore. The cement is hard and the steel is soft. If you do it all the time you are going to break bonds and cause leaks. It's a real major issue. "

Industry spokesmen typically argue that if the drilling hole is properly cased with steel and cemented "the risk of any interaction between drinking water and fracturing fluid is significantly diminished."

But Muehlenbachs replies with another question: "Yes, but what happens if the job is not done right and how frequent are problems encountered?"

How imperfectly executed wells can leak gas and taint groundwater.

According to Schlumberger, the world's largest oilfield company, there are problems galore. In 2003, the company reported that 43 per cent of 6,692 offshore wells tested in the Gulf of Mexico by U.S. regulators were found to be leaking. In fact, by the time a well gets 15 years old, there is a 50 probability it will leak significantly and therefore contaminate other zones, wells, or groundwater.

So there you have it. Just a small smattering of the undisputable truth of ground water devastation. Of course to any sane child. If you pump millions of gallons of toxic chemicals into the ground under very high pressure one could bet 100% that that would be a no-no. But apparently nothing is too low for humans to ignore. I have my theories. One of them is that man is angry and takes his anger out with acts of violence on innocent things. But hey, that's just a pet theory of mine that I ponder from time to time. There has to be some reason for such incredibly wanton destructive behavior.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:55 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/09/15/1238996/-Is-there-a-media-blackout-on-the-fracking-flood-disaster-in-Colorado#

Oil and gas wells drilled in a flood plain are under water and leaking in Weld County Colorado. There is at least one pipeline that broke as the dirt supporting it was washed away. Hydrocarbons and no telling what else are leaking into the flood waters yet the media is silent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OiyPfstZ3k

Colorado Floods Cause Toxic Leaking from Fracking Well

Get the picture?

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

"Well I can tell you why I`m here. Because I have never read the comments of so many complete whackos deniers in my life. I always wondered which well spring of moral cesspools spawned such bag of liars and arrogant conceited self righteous sociopaths came from. And here you all are. Wow. I am truly blown away."

You haven't been taking your medication again I see.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:32 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

At risk of making your condition worse but recognising your command of the facts here, Can you compare the number of deaths per year recorded for coal miners with the number deaths of people (in any profession) recorded as being caused by fracking?

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Let's try to address one problem at a time. Also let's not make existing problems bigger by insinuating that because we have one problem, another problem isn't any worse. The permanent poisoning of ground water has yet to manifest itself as number of deaths. And of course, just like any well spoken mouth piece from days gone by from the tobacco industry and for substances like PCB, when deaths do occur you simply deny them. And of course making out like the number of deaths will now be the definitive argument for the dangers of an industry. But strategically ignoring the enormous loss of ground water resource. Actually I am certain the this fact has not been lost on either you or industry insiders. If they can destroy fresh groundwater, imagine the potential profits available for selling much needed fresh water in plastic bottles to people who have none. There are no depths low enough for the swill to take part in.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:28 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:28 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

"Let's try to address one problem at a time."... Well, go on then, address them one at a time.

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM | Unregistered CommenterDavid Porter

Oh I'm sorry. I guess that wasn't clear. Poisoning of the ground water is a very dangerous act and if not criminal I can tell you for certain that if I cause any ground water poisoning I am charged. Clearly the culprits in this case need to be held to the same degree of responsibility. Is that what you were looking for?

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:18 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

It is worth quoting Dilbert:
"Never argue with idiots; they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".
The same goes for fanatics.

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM | Registered Commentermikeh

You got that part right. The wilful destruction of one resource for the interests of another. That's pretty much how its been. So much for your libertarian philosophy huh? Don't forget now. It's your God given right - To wreck havoc.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

What a cad huh. The very idea. Golly. To charge people for poisoning ground water. Actually even thinking such a thing might be bad is so yesterday. What a total greenie fanatic! It's beneficial. It's good for the market. These tree huggers, they're so anti-science.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:16 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

"These tree huggers, they're so anti-science."

You got that so right replicant.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM | Unregistered CommenterDavid Porter

Geeze, don't leave me hanging. You know how I miss the climax. What parts are anti-science? This foreplay is getting to me. Pony up.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:54 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

replicant

I hate to think of you being frustrated. Do you happen to have the figures to hand for the number of people made ill by water poisoned by fracking each year? I feel sure you will know.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM | Unregistered CommenterDung

Very important. The deciding factor for sure. I mean sickness, pucking and the presence extremely toxic fracking chemicals isn't enough for this deniers. I mean if they don't die, phooey, what's the problem?

Nothing I like better than facing industrial problems head on. head on

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:34 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

So do you have the figures?
Let's try to address one problem at a time.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:28 PM | Registered CommenterDung

I guess sarcasm is something that escapes you does it? That is this site's, and your consummate and only technique I take it. Deny, deny, deny. Deny that ground water is being poisoned. Deny that it is a problem. Deny its cause. Deny that the industry is a horrendously disruptive exercise You must be very proud of yourself. For sticking up to the stalwart integrity of your beliefs in freedom so persistently.

Why should we talk about death before we talk about sickness? You want to deny, or I guess pretend dumbfounded ignorance about illness, destruction of farmland, danger to livestock feed and danger to surface water from temporary above ground structures to name a few, and perhaps pretentiously imitate a concern for death.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:50 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

Keep a lid on it please ladies and gentlemen.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM | Registered CommenterBishop Hill

Bish there is only one contributor to this discussion that needs sorting and you able to do that any time you like.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:09 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Always better to encourage people to play nicely first.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:12 PM | Registered CommenterBishop Hill

replicant

Do you have any figures about anything at all that justify your rantings?

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:15 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Bish

Ah there we must agree to differ ^.^
Off with their heads I say hehe

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:16 PM | Registered CommenterDung

replicant

Do you have any figures about anything at all that justify your rantings?

So I take it you deny that ground water is being poisoned by the introduction of millions of gallons of highly toxic chemicals used during fracking procedures. Or is there some other reason for you to not recognize the postings above?

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:52 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

"So I take it you deny that ground water is being poisoned by the introduction of millions of gallons of highly toxic chemicals used during fracking procedures."

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about., and are at best incoherent, mainly because of the off topic ranting. Now, why don't you list your inchoate arguments in an easily digestible format so we can address them for you. I can, with some certainty, tell you that once addressed you anxieties will be lessened as you appear, in the way you are presenting yourself, to have been the victim of some cult brainwashing.

You will find the denizens of this blog only too willing to help you with your anxieties and to assuage your panics and will I assure you be better for it.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:41 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo